Let’s first talk about how to store your wine. Wine is a perishable product. Even if stored under ideal conditions, eventually every wine will oxidize, turn brown and slowly become undrinkable. Wine deteriorates about 4 times faster in ambient (room) temperature environments than it would in a suitable, temperature-humidity controlled environment. There are many ways to store wine, but the primary factors to consider when thinking about how to store wine and what to invest in wine storage capabilities, are fairly simple. Ask yourself these questions:
- Am I planning to create a small wine collection (10 to 50 bottles) or a large wine collection (100 to 1000+ bottles)?
- Am I into buying expensive and high quality wines, or am I more interested in table or bulk-type wines?
- Will I typically buy and drink wines in a relatively short period of time (within 1-2 years), or will I be buying wines that I plan to age for longer periods of time (2 to 10+ years or more)?
- Do I want to age my wines and ensure they have the optimal environment for maturing and evolving over time?
- Do I understand my wines and how they were created? Some wines were made to age for 10, 15 or even 20 years before their intended flavor and aromatic profiles reach a peak. Others were crafted to be consumed in the near term…1-3 years. It is imperative that you understand the wine maker’s intentions when your wine was made.
If you have a small collection of wines with a high turnover rate (i.e., you drink them relatively quickly over a short time period); if you aren’t into investing in wines that are of a quality you care about losing; and if you don’t particularly have an interest in aging your wines for more than a year or 2, then you are very likely fine simply storing your wines on an open rack, at room temperature, where the natural fluctuations of temperature and humidity won’t impact your wine experience. There are many types of wine racks available for this type of storage, including stand alone racks, table top racks, wall mounted racks and more